For individuals who wear glasses or contacts, receiving LASIK eye surgery is a great alternative to restoring vision. LASIK stands for laser-assisted in situ keratomileuses. It is a type of refractive surgery and is the most commonly performed surgery. There are three main types of vision problems that LASIK surgery can correct.
- Nearsightedness: This is caused when either the eyeball is slightly longer than what it should be or when the cornea curves too sharply causing light rays to focus only to the front of the retina thus resulting in blurred distant vision.
- Farsightedness: This vision problem is the direct opposite of nearsightedness. Farsightedness is the result of an eyeball that is shorter than usual or when the cornea is too flat causing light to focus behind the retina. This results in the vision that is closest to the eye to become blurry.
- Astigmatism: The result of the cornea curving or when it flattens unevenly. Astigmatism disrupts in both near and distant vision.
Choosing a Surgeon
Finding a Lasik Surgeon in Honolulu should be done with care and research. There are many considerations to take into account when checking for qualifications, skills, and reputation of surgeons.
- Licensing: It is important to validate that the surgeon is properly licensed with the state. This can be done by checking their credentials through the National Practitioner Data Bank.
- Advertising: Many surgery facilities advertise in newspapers, on the radio as well as on television and the internet. This is a great way to compare the pricing of potential candidates.
- Referrals: It is important to ask for a referral from the individual’s regular eye practitioner. Asking for recommendations from a friend or family member who has had the same surgery is also another way to select a surgeon with confidence.
When the Lasik Surgeon in Honolulu has been chosen, it is important to make an appointment for a consultation. It is important that during the meeting the individual takes notes, and ask any questions he or she may have about the upcoming surgery.
LASIK eye surgeons are there for individuals to give them peace of mind before, during and after the surgery has been done. It is important the individual feels confident in his or her choice, as their vision is in the hands of the surgeon. For more information on what to expect or to set an appointment, contact Hawaii Vision Clinic today.
Be the first to like.