Common Reasons For Seeking Knee Pain Relief
Written on April 7, 2016 in Occupational Medical Physician No Comments
An individual’s knees withstand significant amounts of daily wear and tear. Despite its small size, it is the largest joint in the human body. Activities involving jumping or running can quadruple the impact on the knee. Not surprisingly, knee pain is a common complaint by health professionals at clinics like Aspirepainmedicalcenter.com.
Many people seek Knee Pain Relief due to the following conditions:
- Arthritis -; The most prevalent form of the knee is osteoarthritis, a condition where the protective layers of cartilage become worn, damaging the bones. Rheumatoid arthritis is an auto-immune condition in which the immune system attacks joint membranes resulting in severe pain and inflammation. A condition called gout (accumulation of uric acid) can occur in the knee and foot.
- Meniscal Injury -; The meniscus is strong, rubber-like cartilage which functions as a shock absorber between the thighbone and shinbone. However, it can be easily torn if the knee is acutely twisted while bearing weight.
- Tendinitis -; Tendons are strong tissues that connect the muscle to a bone. When tendons in the knee become inflamed or irritated due to over-exertion or tears a condition called Patellar tendinitis develops.
- Bursitis -; Occurs when the bursa becomes irritated or inflamed. The bursa is a sac containing a lubricating fluid that reduces friction and rubbing between bones and muscle. Bursitis can result from acute injury or prolonged, minor impacts to the site. Examples of activities that pose the greatest risk are carpentry, tile-layers, gardening, digging, painting, golf, tennis, baseball pitchers, and skiers. Even poor posture and lack of or poorly stretching before exercise can lead to this condition as well.
- Dislocated Kneecap -; This happens when the patella (kneecap) is forced out of place. Typically occurs when performing a weight bearing activity while standing on one leg and the leg abruptly changes direction or twists.
- Ligament Injury -; There are four ligaments surrounding the knee. They can be worn or even torn during strenuous physical activity. The most commonly injured ligament is the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) -; one of two that overlap within the knee. It is common among sports where sudden turns in direction occur.
One should seek Knee Pain Relief if weight cannot be put on the knee, swelling occurs, inability to flex or straighten the knee or the knee feels like it gives out. Conditions like osteoarthritis, when left untreated can lead to progressive joint damage and instability. You can also connect with them on Facebook for more updates.